Tuesday, March 30, 2010

March Moments

St. Patty's Day

Yep, my good luck charm

Grace is such a doll

Daddy feeding Audrey strawberries at the babies' first picnic

Lindsey and I always seem to wear the same thing...

Self-portrait of mommy and Oliver

My little twin

Gracie in the grass

The Bennington girls with their friend Lydia

Cuddling in bed at the Goodman's house

They don't seem to all fit in the pack 'n play anymore...

Audrey's nurse was in loooove with Oliver

Our little bunkin right after surgery

Audrey and Oliver in the double stroller at Saturday Market

Mommy and Grace on the Max

Triplets? I think so!

Sweet sisters

Gracie getting acquainted with the spoon (and some residual carrots)

March has been a busy month! We've seen sun, snow, more sun, and more snow. The babies had their first picnic down by the river at the Old Mill, Audrey learned how to crawl, sit, and feed herself her bottle, Oliver now has FOUR teeth (two completely in and two more poking through), Grace has become the vocal one of the group and talks all the time, we made another trip to Doernbecher Children's Hospital in Portland for Audrey's follow-up procedure and got to stay with our good friends Nate and Kelly (who are expecting their own little bundle of joy in 2 weeks!) And it must be the sporadic good weather that is causing the babies to grow like weeds! While they were weighing Audrey for her procedure, we slipped Oliver and Grace on the scale for a quick weigh-in - and we know one little boy who will definitely NOT be this year's Biggest Loser! Oliver William is up to a whopping 24.5 lbs ... at only 10 months - and really should be only 7 months old!!! Nothing about that boy says preemie. Audrey isn't too far behind; she was nearly 21 lbs, and little Grace has been working hard and is up to 14!

Thankfully, our time at Doernbecher went very smoothly this trip. Audrey had outpatient surgery this time, which meant no over-nighters at the hospital. Her nurse (Julius) was fantastic and was so crazy about the babies he was carrying them around and paging doctors to come peek at them:) At first he asked if Audrey would need some medication to prevent "stranger anxiety" on her way to the operating room, but we just laughed and said not to worry; they'd be best friends before they got down the hall! They took her back and gave her some gas before starting her IV (which is always the hardest part for her), and less than an hour later she was in recovery. The good news is her cysts did not grow back. The bad news is with the cysts gone, the doctor was able to get a clearer picture of her airway and could see scar tissue that is blocking her airway 50%. Fixing her airway would require major reconstructive surgery. Part of her rib tissue would be removed to rebuild the portion of her airway that is restricted. The doctor would like to avoid this for as long as possible, in hopes that as she grows and her airway gets bigger, the ratio of open airway to blocked airway will increase in her favor. The scary part is if she gets sick: because her airway is so small, she doesn't have much "wiggle room" for any mucus or inflammation. He said it is likely that any sickness will land us in the hospital or emergency room. So, like we've been doing, we'll just keep a really close eye on her and do our best to keep her happy and healthy while her little body (and airway!) gets bigger and stronger. Her ENT wants to see her again in the Fall, and we're praying we can avoid the hospital until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment