Saturday, May 9, 2009

Our First Month of Bedrest

My view!
Baby A (our boy) was sticking his bottom up
and giving me a very lopsided belly!

Mommy and Daddy

(on a quick trip from the bathroom back to bed!)


Robert and our new little cousin Taleah


Dear friends and family
(look how many we crammed into my room at once!)


Taleah getting a smooch from Great Uncle Scott


Holding hands:)


Look at that face! Precious baby Taleah Scout


My lovely cousins Julie and Kellie from Arizona
(My mom stopped by for a visit and got to meet baby Taleah)


Drinking Indonesian "avocado shakes" with Paul and Sheila
(they're good if you like thick, cold guacamole:))


Just like home:)


Cuddling in my hospital bed


Robert putting on my sexy white circulation stockings


Edible flowers from our dear friends Gary and Laura


Some of my lovely flowers - thank you everyone!


Snuggling with my "Snoogle" pillow


Praise God that the babies are still in!!!

Today marks day 30 of my bedrest at St. Charles, and during these past 30 days I have been poked, prodded, and "probed" (yes folks, it's exactly what you're thinking) more times than most people experience in a lifetime - lucky me! But as boring, frustrating, and uncomfortable as lying on your back for an extremely extended period of time can be, I know I am doing the best thing for our babies and I am thrilled that we have been able to keep them in for 4 extra weeks - and counting! I arrived at the hospital at 22 weeks 0 days, and today I am 26 weeks 1 day. Developmentally, 26 weeks is a huge difference for the babies: if born today they would statistically have about a 75% chance of survival versus a 0% chance at 22 weeks (when we arrived), and every single day that passes brings incredible hope and relief. At 28 weeks the babies will have about a 90% chance of survival without major complications, so that is our next big goal! Robert's convinced we'll make it into the 30 week range, but I just can't think that far ahead at the moment:)

The staff here has been incredible. We've had 25 different nurses, and although we have our favorites, all of them have been super friendly and accomodating. We've only had to give one "the boot" and the poor thing was our nurse the very first day we got here, when our judgement was probably a bit clouded by our hyperemotional state and severe need of nurturing and reassurance - she, unfortunately, was a "get the job done" kind of gal. Overall, the nurses have done a great job of recognizing that this is our home now, and even though dogs are only allowed to "visit" their people, the staff here at the Family Birthing Center has turned a blind eye to the fact that our 75lb doggie stays with us every day... and even spends the night! In fact, Robert walked though the hospital the other day without Kai, and all the nurses were worried and asking "where's your dog?!"

Dr. Carlson, DO

We also feel extremely blessed to have the most devoted and wonderful doctor. We always enjoyed our visits with him at the clinic and were impressed by his thoroughness and sincere attention to us, but he has proven himself to be an even more concerned and thoughtful doctor than we every could have imagined. Incredibly, the weekend we arrived here was his "on call" weekend (which he only has one weekend of the month), so he was here by our side during our scariest first few days at the hospital. And for the past 30 days, he has come in nearly every single day - even on his days off - to check on me and spend time talking with us. As an added bonus, he's also an extremely funny guy and often just sits in our room telling us funny stories about his kids, past deliveries, his dogs, and even his favorite beers. I told him about my love of Fat Tire Amber Ale, and as any good doctor should, he made a deal with me that if I make it to 28 weeks (only 13 more days) he will buy me a case of it from Costco!!! Hey, I've already been here for 30; 13 more days is CAKE.

The other huge thing that has helped get us through this past month has been our wonderful family, church family, and friends. We have had a steady stream of visitors, some of whom come on a very regular basis. At least one of our parents makes an appearance every day, and at times we've even had all five together in here (that hasn't happened since our wedding nearly 4 years ago!). Our pastor and his family visit us several times a week, we've had friends visit from all over the state, and my wonderful cousins even made a special trip out from Arizona! I feel very blessed (and spoiled) to have so many fans:)

So, 30 down, and who knows how many more days to go! In some ways it would be nice to know when these babies are going to make their appearance, but I suppose if I knew how many more days of bedrest I'd have to endure, how many more needles, ultrasounds, and probes, I'd probably go insane. And don't we want to keep the big day when I'll be stabbed in the back, semi-paralyzed, gutted like a fish, and stapled shut again a surprise?! I'm referring to my impending C-Section of course... or as Dr. Carlson likes to call it, my "Triple Vaginal Bypass" :) And to think, that's the happy thing that's going to get me out of this bed. Oh, what we do for our children!!!

3 comments:

  1. Holly....so great to hear an update from you. I can't believe you have been in the hospital for 30 days! You are such a trooper. It must be so difficult, but in the end you are going to have 3 beautiful babies and it will have all been worth it! Please know that you, your husband, and your 3 little ones are in our prayers. And let me tell you, you look amazing and beautiful in those white stockings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha triple vaginal bypass, that's awesome! What else is awesome are your babies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of you and Baby Bennigton's bum.

    Everyone down here is praying for you as well!!!

    ReplyDelete