Saturday, February 23, 2013

Love Note for the Weekend

My children have discovered the Sound of Music and are smitten with it all: the music, the lovely Maria, and all those kids! We now have our very own little Von Trapps traipsing around our house singing "My Favorite Things" and  "Do Re Mi" with surprisingly accurate intonation and lyrics. We downloaded the soundtrack from iTunes and have listened to it in our car about a bajillion times over the past few weeks.  And while it's fun to belt out the more familiar songs, there's a beautiful little section of verse at the beginning of the "Sixteen Going On Seventeen" Reprise that has caused me to pause and take note this week. Rather than heralding love as this tangible occurrence or feeling (of which we tend to focus on our role as recipient), let us all try to love more actively this weekend - finding our joy and solace in the space vacated by all we've given away...

A bell is no bell till you ring it

A song is no song till you sing it

And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay

Love isn't love till you give it away



Enjoy the weekend, everyone 

1 comment:

  1. I had never seen this movie til Thanksgiving last year at the in-laws. We have had the record so I knew the songs before I knew the movie and Taleah LOVED the songs. Well now she LOVES the movie and I have probably seen it 25 times since Thanksgiving (we don't watch passed the wedding as it's too dark for little minds). She loves it and I really really dont. It was fun the first time. Another one I can watch with her over and over is Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Taleah's favorite.

    ReplyDelete